Are you in the market to buy Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) flooring but unsure of where to start? The sheer amount of options can be overwhelming. In this article, we’ll explore factors to consider when purchasing LVP flooring, review top places to buy LVP flooring, provide company specific recommendations and conclude with key takeaways to ensure you make the right choice for your specific needs.
Factors to Consider When Buying LVP Flooring
Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) flooring is an increasingly popular choice for homeowners in search of durability, aesthetics, and affordability. While its beautiful appearance and high-performance properties are attractive, there are several important factors to consider before making a purchase. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide covering quality and material, budget and pricing, and installation and warranties, among others.
Quality and Material
The quality of LVP flooring can vary significantly, and understanding the core materials and construction methods can help you make an informed decision. LVP flooring is typically made from multiple layers, including the wear layer, the decorative layer, a core layer, and a stabilizing backing layer. The thickness of these layers can help determine the durability and overall quality of the flooring.
Key terms to look for while shopping for LVP flooring include the wear layer thickness, which is expressed in millimeters (mm) or mils (1 mil = 0.001 inches). A thicker wear layer will provide increased protection against scratches, scuffs, and other damage. For high traffic areas, it is recommended to choose flooring with a wear layer of at least 12 mils or higher.
It’s also important to consider the material quality of the core layer. The higher the quality, the more stable and resilient the flooring will be. Options such as Stone Plastic Composite (SPC) and Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) are known for their excellent stability and durability.
Budget and Pricing
LVP flooring can cater to various budgetary preferences. Prices can range from as low as $1 per square foot for entry-level products to over $10 for high-end options. When determining your budget, consider factors such as the total square footage of your project, professional installation costs (if applicable), and the cost of necessary accessories and underlayments.
While affordability is a major advantage of LVP flooring, be cautious of extremely low-priced options, as these products may be of inferior quality and potentially lead to issues down the line.
Installation and Warranties
The ease of installation is another attractive feature of LVP flooring. There are multiple installation methods such as glue-down, click-lock, and loose lay, each with its own set of advantages and challenges. For DIY enthusiasts, click-lock is the most popular choice due to its simple, interlocking system that requires no adhesives.
When it comes to warranties, it’s essential to read the fine print and understand the coverage provided by the manufacturer. Typical warranties may cover manufacturer defects, wear, staining, fading, and water damage, but specific terms and conditions will vary. A quality LVP product will typically offer at least a 15-year residential warranty, with some higher-end products boasting a lifetime warranty.
Top Places to Buy LVP Flooring
There are multiple locations where you can purchase LVP flooring, including local flooring retailers and online shops. Each option presents its unique benefits and potential drawbacks.
Local Flooring Retailers
Local showrooms and flooring stores are excellent resources when purchasing LVP flooring. These retailers specialize in flooring products and can offer personalized customer service, expert advice, and recommendations tailored to your needs.
Benefits of Local Stores
Local retailers present several advantages, such as the ability to view and feel the products in person, better understanding of color variations, and hands-on access to samples. Additionally, local stores may offer professional installation services or helpful recommendations for local installers.
One potential downside to shopping at local retailers is that their product selection may be limited compared to online alternatives. Furthermore, local retailers may have higher overhead costs, leading to higher pricing when compared to online options.
Online Retailers and Marketplaces
Online stores and marketplaces, such as Amazon and specialty flooring websites, provide a diverse selection of LVP flooring products. Online shopping offers convenience, flexibility, and access to comprehensive product information and user reviews.
Convenience and Variety
One of the main advantages of shopping online is the ability to browse through a wide variety of products at your own pace. Furthermore, many online retailers offer sample ordering services, which allow you to view and feel the product before committing to a purchase.
Shipping and Return Policies
It’s important to pay close attention to shipping and return policies when purchasing LVP products online. Be aware of delivery time frames, shipping fees, and methods for returning items that might not meet your expectations. Taking the time to research and compare various online stores can help you find a reputable retailer that offers high-quality products and exceptional customer service.
In conclusion, selecting the ideal LVP flooring product involves understanding quality, material, budgetary considerations, and installation factors. Both local and online retailers offer unique advantages, and considering your specific needs and preferences will ensure a satisfying LVP flooring purchase experience.
Company Specific Recommendations
When looking for the perfect LVP flooring, it’s essential to be informed about the leading companies in the industry. This will help you make an informed decision based on quality, customer satisfaction, and sustainability practices. Here we highlight some exceptional LVP flooring brands, so you can be confident in your choice.
Leading LVP Flooring Brands
1. Shaw Floors: Shaw Floors is one of the most popular LVP flooring brands in the market due to its diverse product line, with a focus on durability and realistic design. Shaw’s LVP floors often feature enhanced surface protection, ensuring they withstand daily wear and tear. Moreover, Shaw Floors’ commitment to sustainability and recycling ensures you make an environmentally responsible choice.
2. Mohawk Industries: Mohawk’s LVP flooring options are known for their rigid core construction, providing exceptional stability, and waterproof features. With the patented Uniclic MultiFit technology, Mohawk ensures easy and quick installation. Plus, Mohawk’s LVP floors come in a wide variety of styles, textures, and colors, making them an ideal choice for any home.
3. Karndean Designflooring: Karndean is a brand that specializes in luxury vinyl flooring products, with an emphasis on distinctive and innovative design features. Unique embossing technology gives Karndean’s LVP flooring a realistic and authentic look. Their LVP floors are also highly resistant to dents, stains, and scratches, making them a great long-term investment.
By considering these leading brands while searching for the perfect LVP flooring, you can prioritize quality, design, and diversity.
Customer Reviews and Testimonials
Customer opinions and testimonials can give you an idea of the subtle nuances and real-world performance of various LVP flooring products. As you explore different brands, be sure to examine the customer reviews, especially those with images of the installed floors. This will give you a keen understanding of how a brand’s LVP flooring product stands up to active households and daily wear and tear.
Look for reviews that discuss the ease of maintenance, resiliency, and details on the visuals and feel of the flooring. An ideal review will also mention the type of warranty and customer support provided by the company. Keep in mind that no single product can satisfy everyone, so it’s essential to recognize your specific needs and preferences when choosing the right LVP flooring.
1. Company-specific recommendations can help you narrow down your search for quality LVP flooring providers;
2. Shaw Floors, Mohawk Industries, and Karndean Designflooring offer diverse and resilient LVP flooring options;
3. Customer reviews and testimonials provide real-world insights into the performance and appearance of LVP flooring products;
4. Focus on aspects like durability, design, sustainability, and customer support when choosing the right LVP flooring brand for your home.
Making the Right LVP Flooring Choice
With contemporary technology, LVP flooring options are more versatile and visually appealing than ever. To make the best decision for your home’s LVP flooring, it’s crucial to understand your personal requirements and perform in-depth research into various brands’ offerings.
Remember, the LVP flooring you choose should be a perfect blend of aesthetics, durability, and functionality.
Frequently Asked Questions about Buying Vinyl Flooring
What is the difference between luxury vinyl plank flooring and regular vinyl flooring?
The main difference between luxury vinyl plank flooring and regular vinyl flooring is in the quality and durability. Luxury vinyl plank flooring is typically thicker, has a more realistic wood look and feel, and is more durable and scratch-resistant than regular vinyl flooring. It is also more water-resistant, making it a better choice for humid or wet environments. Additionally, luxury vinyl plank flooring often comes with a longer warranty than regular vinyl flooring due to its higher quality.
How do I choose the best quality luxury vinyl plank flooring for my space?
When choosing the best quality luxury vinyl plank flooring for your space, consider the following factors:
1. Thickness and wear layer: Look for planks with a thick wear layer (at least 20 mils) to ensure durability and resistance to scratches and wear.
2. Material quality: High-quality luxury vinyl plank flooring is made of 100% virgin PVC material, which is more durable than recycled PVC.
3. Embossing and texture: Choose planks with realistic embossing and texture to mimic the look and feel of natural materials like hardwood, stone, or ceramic.
4. Brand reputation and warranty: Look for well-established brands with positive reviews and warranties that cover product defects, staining, and wear.
5. Installation method: Consider the type of installation method that works best for your space, such as glue-down, click-lock, or loose lay.
6. Maintenance requirements: Choose flooring that is easy to clean and requires minimal maintenance, such as waterproof and stain-resistant planks.
Is luxury vinyl plank flooring a good option for homes with pets and children?
Yes, luxury vinyl plank flooring is a great option for homes with pets and children. It’s durable, easy to clean, and can handle heavy foot traffic. The surface is also scratch-resistant, which means it won’t get damaged easily if your pets scratch it with their nails. Additionally, luxury vinyl plank flooring is slip-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about your kids slipping and getting hurt. Overall, luxury vinyl plank flooring is an excellent choice for families with pets and children.
Is luxury vinyl plank flooring durable enough for high traffic areas?
Yes, luxury vinyl plank flooring is durable enough for high traffic areas. It is made to withstand heavy foot traffic, scratches, and spills. However, it is important to choose a high-quality and thick luxury vinyl plank flooring for areas with high traffic to ensure it lasts longer. Additionally, regular cleaning and maintenance can help preserve the flooring and extend its lifespan.