When it comes to keeping your home dry and looking great, there’s no better choice than waterproof vinyl flooring. Whether dealing with a leaky roof or a flooded basement, this type of flooring is designed to keep water out and protect your home from potential damage.
But what exactly is waterproof vinyl flooring, and why should you choose which kind to buy? Let’s learn more about this popular flooring option’s different types, benefits, and installation process.
What is Waterproof Vinyl Flooring?
Waterproof vinyl flooring is a type of resilient floor covering that consists of several layers fused under high pressure. The top layer is a wear layer that protects against scratches and stains, making the surface easy to clean. Underneath the wear layer are additional layers, including a core board for stability, a cushion backing for comfort underfoot, and an adhesive backing for easy installation. When all these layers are combined, a resilient waterproof flooring material is formed that is highly resistant to moisture and spills.
Types of Waterproof Vinyl Flooring
When it comes to choosing the right type of waterproof vinyl flooring for your home, there are several categories available:
- Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) – This type of waterproof vinyl flooring looks like natural stone or wood but has all the benefits of being completely waterproof.
- Vinyl Sheet – Vinyl sheet floors comprise one large piece covering an entire room without seams or joints.
- Vinyl Plank – Vinyl planks look like natural hardwood floors but are 100% waterproof.
Whatever category you choose, all types of waterproof vinyl floors offer excellent durability and comfort underfoot thanks to their cushion backing. They also come in various colors and styles, so you can find something that fits your taste perfectly.
Benefits Of Waterproof Vinyl Flooring
Waterproof vinyl flooring offers tons of benefits for homeowners. When it comes to deciding whether or not waterproof vinyl flooring is right for you, consider some of the advantages:
- Durability – Waterproof vinyl floors are incredibly durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic without showing wear.
- Easy To Clean – These floors are completely sealed off from moisture and dirt, requiring less maintenance than other types of flooring.
- Comfort – Cushion backing makes waterproof vinyl floors comfortable underfoot even after years of daily use.
- Protection – Installing waterproof vinyl floors in your home will help protect your property from potential water damage caused by leaky pipes or flooding.
How To Install Waterproof Vinyl Flooring
Installing waterproof vinyl floors is possible to do on your own, but some people prefer a professional for a more experienced hand. If you plan to do a DIY vinyl floor installation, then you should follow these tips:
You’ll need basic tools like:
- measuring tape
- chalk line
- utility knife
- adhesive spreader
- leveler, spacers
- and grout float.
First, measure the area where you want the new floor installed, then use the chalk line to mark it off. Next, cut out pieces that fit into place using the utility knife, then roll out adhesive across each piece before laying them down. Use spacers between each plank during installation, then use a leveler tool to ensure everything is even. Once everything’s in place, use the grout float tool along the edges where the two pieces meet. Finally, let everything set overnight before walking on it.
Why Choose Waterproof Vinyl Flooring?
There are many reasons why homeowners choose this type over other flooring options, such as carpet or tile:
Waterproof Vinyl Flooring Is Durable
As previously mentioned, waterproof vinyl flooring is a resilient floor covering that stands up well against heavy foot traffic without showing signs of wear quickly, as carpets do. Plus, they aren’t as susceptible to staining since they’re completely sealed off from moisture.
Waterproof Vinyl Floorings Are Easy To Clean
Unlike carpets that require regular deep cleaning with special chemicals and equipment every few months, waterproof vinyl flooring only needs occasional sweeping & mopping with a mild cleaning solution to look its best. And in the event of any spills, no scrubbing is necessary. Unwanted messes can be easily wiped away with a paper towel or wet cloth.
Thanks to their cushioned backing, waterproof luxury vinyl plank flooring feels soft and comfortable with every step. These floors are perfect if you have someone in your household with stiff joints or difficulty standing in one place for prolonged periods of time.
Waterproof Floors Protect Your Home From Damage Caused By Floods Or Leaks
With their tightly-sealed construction, waterproof vinyl flooring provides superior protection against water damage caused by floods and leaks compared to traditional materials like wood laminate. So, if you live in an area prone to flooding or an older building with leaky pipes, installing this type of flooring could save you money on expensive repairs.
Cleaning your waterproof luxury vinyl plank flooring is easy because they’re durable.
Caring for your waterproof vinyl plank flooring is a breeze. You won’t need lots of special cleaning equipment or professional services. In fact, you probably have everything you need to take care of your flooring already.
For regular maintenance, follow these simple tips:
- Sweeping – Use a floor duster or broom to remove crumbs, food scraps, and other debris.
- Mopping – Remove any set-in stains or spills using a mop with warm water and a mild cleaning solution.
- Cleaning Spills – If you have any spills on your vinyl floors, you can wipe them up with moist paper towels or cloths.
- Deep Cleaning – For deeper cleaning, use commercial-grade detergents or powders designated explicitly for vinyl floors. Just make sure you read the label carefully before using it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is waterproof vinyl flooring really waterproof?
Underneath the wear layer are additional layers, including a core board for stability, a cushion backing for comfort underfoot, and an adhesive backing for easy installation. When all these layers are combined, a resilient waterproof flooring material is formed that is highly resistant to moisture and spills. Vinyl planks look like natural hardwood floors but are 100% waterproof.
Is waterproof vinyl flooring worth it?
If you’re looking for flooring that is durable, easy to clean and looks great, then yes, vinyl flooring is worth every penny!
Is waterproof laminate or vinyl better?
Bother waterproof laminate and vinyl are great options for any homeowner.